Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Kite Runner

I have been so busy this week that it has been hard for me to find time to read! I have about 50 more pages to read to meet my quota for the week, and just one night to do that. I REALLY need to improve my time management skills. Anyhow, Amir and his father, Baba, move from Afghanistan to America when the war breaks out. America turns out to be a great fit for Amir. He graduates from high school, gets in to college, but most importantly, has run from his past. From Hassan. Unfortunately, America hasn't been as good for Baba. The only job he can manage to get is at a local gas station, a huge contrast to his highly successful business in Afghanistan. Baba misses all his old friends and acquaintances and huge parties, but he sacrificed all of that so Amir could have a better life. I was wrong before in earlier posts, Baba really does love Amir. He may not understand Amir, but nevertheless, he loves Amir.


One thing that I really like about this book is all the Afghan words periodically thrown into the text. The words are put in through dialogue and normal narration and makes the overall book more interesting. For example I learned that zendagi migzara means life goes on, naan means bread, and salaam means hi. It is all so interesting!

5 comments:

  1. Your blog is very well organized and your cartoon made me laugh. It was very nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Trevor said, I like the Shakespeare cartoon and the daily puppy is very cute (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your blog its colorful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like how your honest about your time management skills! alot of people act like its super easy to read all the time, but for some people, me included, its hard to find time to read!

    ReplyDelete